Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rahul not yet ready to be PM

Economic Times, April 26, 2009

KOLKATA: AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi gave a clear hint on Saturday that the Congress would not hesitate to garner Left support in forming
the government in the event of a hung parliament after general elections.

But in the same breath, he deplored the West Bengal government’s failure in implementing several central policies meant for the development of the poor. Mr Gandhi was addressing the media in Kolkata on Saturday just before his departure for Delhi.

Asked whether Congress would seek Left support in forming the next government, Mr Gandhi said: “The Congress’s doors are open for all.” He, however, refrained from elaborating any further. To another specific query, the 39-year-old Congress leader said he would not accept the post of Prime Minister even if it was offered to him.

“I am too bogged with the organisational work for the Congress which is the first reason of not accepting the Prime Minister’s post. The second reason is that I don’t have the experience for the job,” said Rahul.

Interestingly, Rahul made no bones of his fondness for Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee. ”I met Mamataji when I was small. I used to see her at our home. But I have not spoken to her recently. Also I have not met her for a long time and I wish get to meet her soon. I admire her simplicity. She is the lady of the people and meets people all the time.”

On the contrary, during his recent travels through several West Bengal districts like Bankura and Purulia to campaign for Congress candidates, he said: “I was extremely upset to see the plight of the people in Purulia. It is no better than Kalahandi in Orissa and I must say the Left Front government does not have the right idea in so far as development issues go.”

“I am not attacking the Left. All I’m saying is what I’ve seen myself in Purulia. It’s no better than Kalahandi. And the Left Front government could not use 50 per cent of the central funds allocated to construct homes for the poor,” said Rahul when asked to rate the performance of the Left Front in West Bengal.
He also underscored the need for integration of the education system with the rest of the world. “If you look forward 30 to 40 years, we have to change the way we look at the education scenario right now. We have to internationalise our education system,” the AICC general secretary said.

Asked to comment on current LTTE activities in Sri Lanka, Rahul said “I have no sympathy for the LTTE. It has killed my father. It is a terrorist outfit and many civilians in Sri Lanka are suffering due to the LTTE activities. We have to reduce the sufferings of these civilians.”

No comments: